Senior Teaching Associate
Kal holds a BSc and M.Ed from the Open University, and a PhD in Medical Education from Maastricht University. He is an experienced educator (>30 years), and is currently Education Manager for the MPhil in Population Health Sciences. Kal is also a deputy editor of the journal Perspectives on Medical Education.
Kal’s interests include curriculum design, faculty development, small group teaching, interactive pedagogies, learning development and remediation of struggling students.
Kal manages the educational design and development of the MPhil in Population Health Sciences, and also leads the Research Skills module and delivers teacher training for the MPhil PHS. Kal is a tutor on the Cambridge Teaching Associates Programme and on the MSt in Medical Education, and promotes research writing groups for early career researchers and PhD students.
- Chou CL, Kalet A, Costa MJ, Cleland J, Winston K. 2019. Guidelines: The do’s, don’ts and don’t knows of remediation in medical education. Perspectives on Medical Education, 8, 322-338
- Tezcan-Unal B, Winston K and Qualter A. 2018. Learning-oriented quality assurance in higher education institutions, Quality in Higher Education, 24:3, 221-237
- Kebaetse, M. B. and Winston, K. 2018. Physician remediation: accepting and working with complementary conceptualisations. Med Educ.
- Varpio, L., Driessen, E., Maggio, L., Lingard, L., Winston, K., Kulasegaram, K., Nagler, A., Cleland, J., Schönrock-Adema, J., Paradis, E. and Mørcke, A.M. 2018. Advice for authors from the editors of Perspectives on Medical Education: Getting your research published. Perspectives on Medical Education, 7(6), 343-347.
- Leppink, J., O’Sullivan, P. and Winston, K. 2017. Are differences between groups different at different occasions? Perspectives on Medical Education, 6(6), 413-417
- Leppink, J., O’Sullivan, P. and Winston, K. 2017. Evidence against vs. in favour of a null hypothesis. Perspectives on Medical Education, 6(2), 115-118.
- Leppink, J., O’Sullivan, P. & Winston, K. 2016. On Variation and Uncertainty. Perspectives on Medical Education, 5(4):231-234
- Leppink J, Winston KA and O’Sullivan P. 2016. Statistical significance does not imply a real effect, Perspectives on Medical Education, 5(2):122-124
- Winston, KA. 2015. Core concepts in remediation: lessons learned from a six year case study. Medical Science Educator, 25(3):307-315.
- Winston KA, Van Der Vleuten CPM, and Scherpbier AJJA. 2013. “Remediation of At-Risk Medical Students: Theory in Action,” BMC Medical Education, 13:132
- Winston KA, Van Der Vleuten CPM, and Scherpbier AJJA. 2012. “The Role of the teacher in remediating at-risk medical students”, Medical Teacher, 34(11):e732-42
- Winston KA, Van Der Vleuten CPM, and Scherpbier AJJA. 2010. “At-risk medical students: implications of students’ voice for the theory and practice of remediation”, Medical Education, 44:1038–1047
- Winston KA, Van Der Vleuten CPM, and Scherpbier AJJA. 2010. “An Investigation Into the Design and Effectiveness of a Mandatory Cognitive Skills Programme For At-Risk Medical Students”, Medical Teacher, 32(3):236-243