Elena Raffetti is a medical doctor specialized in public health with a strong interest in epidemiological research and biostatistics. Elena completed a PhD in epidemiology (2021) under the supervision of Professor Maria Rosaria Galanti, focusing on mental health problems and tobacco use among adolescents. Elena previously completed specialty training in public health medicine at the University of Brescia, Italy (2016).
Elena’s post doctoral work at the CEU mainly focuses on adverse pregnancy outcomes following COVID-19 infection within the CVD-COVID-UK consortium.
Environmental determinants of health
1. Di Baldassarre G, [6 co-authors], Raffetti E†. Multiple hazards and risk perceptions over time: The availability heuristic in Italy and Sweden under COVID-19. Nat Hazards Earth Syst Sci. 2021 Jun 22:1-4.
2. Raffetti E*, [4 co-authors], Magoni M. Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and risk of hypertension: A population-based cohort study in a North Italian highly polluted area. Sci Total Environ. 2020 Apr 20;714:136660.
3. Raffetti E†, [3 co-authors], Donato F. Association between exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls and risk of hypertension: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Chemosphere. 2020 Sep;255:126984.
4. Raffetti E†, Treccani M, Donato F. Cement plant emissions and health effects in the general population: a systematic review. Chemosphere. 2019 Mar;218:211-222.
5. Raffetti E, [4 co-authors], Magoni M. Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) exposure and cardiovascular, endocrine and metabolic diseases: A population-based cohort study in a North Italian highly polluted area. Environ Int. 2018 Nov;120:215-222.
Behavioral determinants of health
6. Raffetti E*, [5 co-authors], Galanti MR. DNA methylation of the glucocorticoid receptor gene predicts substance use in adolescence: Longitudinal data from over 1,000 young individuals. Transl Psychiatry. 2021 Sep;11, 477.
7. Raffetti E*, [5 co-authors], Galanti MR. Cortisol concentration as predictor of tobacco initiation in adolescents. Results from a population-based Swedish cohort. J Adolesc Health. 2021 Apr;68(4):758-764.
8. Donato F, [7 co-authors], Raffetti E*†. Symptoms of mental health problems among Italian adolescents in 2017-2018 school year: a multicenter cross-sectional study. Environ Health Prev Med. 2021 Jun 21;26(1):67.
9. Raffetti E*, Donato F, Forsell Y, Galanti MR. Longitudinal association between tobacco use and the onset of depressive symptoms among Swedish adolescents: the Kupol cohort study. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2019 May;28(5):695-704.
10. Galanti MR, [11 co-authors], Raffetti E. School environment and mental health in early adolescence – a longitudinal study in Sweden (KUPOL). BMC Psychiatry. 2016 Jul 16;16:243.
* = corresponding author
† = senior author