Scientific Study Co-ordinator
Telephone: 01223 747228
I completed my PhD in Human Nutrition at the Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health (NICHE) at Ulster University in 2017 and following this, I worked as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of British Columbia. My PhD focused on investigating the underlying mechanisms behind the blood pressure lowering effects of riboflavin, in individuals with a genetic predisposition to elevated blood pressure. During my PhD and postdoc, I gained extensive experience in nutritional epigenetics & biochemistry and the design & conduct of large human intervention studies.
My research interests include cardiovascular disease prevention strategies and I am currently coordinating two large studies
1) a cluster randomised nationwide trial to improve blood donor experiences and
2) a recall study to understand better the carriage of S. aureus in healthy individuals.
- McMahon, A.; McNulty, H.; Hughes, C.F.; Strain, J.J.; Ward, M. Novel Approaches to Investigate One-Carbon Metabolism and Related B-Vitamins in Blood Pressure. Nutrients2016, 8, 720.
- McMahon A, McNulty H, Hughes CF, JJ Strain, I Bendik, P Weber and Ward M. ‘Investigating the association between the MTHFR C677T polymorphism and blood pressure as measured by ambulatory blood pressure monitoring.’ Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 2016.
- Ward M, McMahon A, Hughes CF, J.J Strain, Plumb R, Weber P, Bendik I and McNulty H. ‘Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) in adults stratified by methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) genotype’ J. of Human Hypertension, 2017.
- Amenyah, S., McMahon, A., Ward, M., Deane, J., McNulty, H., Hughes, C….Lees-Murdock, D. Epigenetic effects of riboflavin supplementation on hypertension in adults screened for the MTHFR C677 T polymorphism. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, (2018)
- Hughes, C., Ward, M., McMahon, A., Strain, J., Plumb, R., Weber, P… McNulty, H.. A randomised controlled trial to investigate ambulatory blood pressure response to riboflavin supplementation in adults with the MTHFR 677TT genotype. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, (2018