Tel: 01223 747232
Elias Allara is a public health doctor trained in epidemiology and medical statistics. He completed a PhD at the Cardiovascular Epidemiology Unit under the supervision of Professor Emanuele Di Angelantonio, focusing on the effects of blood donation and iron homeostasis on cardiometabolic outcomes. Elias previously completed specialty training in public health medicine at the University of Turin and is currently an honorary consultant at Public Health England.
Elias investigates the relevance of iron on the onset of several cardiometabolic diseases and contributes to genetic discovery studies of iron biomarkers. His postdoctoral work is performed as part of the BigData@Heart initiative at the Cardiovascular Epidemiology Unit (Dr Angela Wood), and in close collaboration with the NIHR Blood and Transplant Research Unit in Donor Health and Genomics (Professor Emanuele Di Angelantonio).
Elias maintains interest in researching both biomedical and behavioural/environmental determinants of cardiovascular diseases, and is open to requests for collaborations.
Biomedical determinants of health
- Kettunen J*, Holmes MV*, Allara E*, Anufrieva O*, [15 co-authors], Di Angelantonio E#, Butterworth AS#, Ala-Korpela M#. Lipoprotein Signatures of Cholesteryl Ester Transfer Protein and HMG-CoA Reductase Inhibition. PLoS Biol. 2019 Dec 20;17(12):e3000572.
- Allara E, [13 co-authors], Burgess S. Genetic Determinants of Lipids and Cardiovascular Disease Outcomes: A Wide-angled Mendelian Randomization Investigation. Circ Genom Precis Med. 2019 Dec;12(12):e002711
- Pinato DJ*, Howlett S*, [17 co-authors], Allara E#, Bower M#. Association of Prior Antibiotic Treatment With Survival and Response to Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Therapy in Patients With Cancer. JAMA Oncol. 2019 Sep 12. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2019.2785.
Behavioural/environmental determinants of health
- Allara E, [8 co-authors], Faggiano F. Effects of a prevention program on multiple health-compromising behaviours in adolescence: A cluster randomized controlled trial. Prev Med. 2019 Jul;124:1-10. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2019.04.001
- Allara E, Ferri M, Bo A, Gasparrini A, Faggiano F. Are mass-media campaigns effective in preventing drug use? A Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open. 2015 Sep 3;5(9):e007449.
- Ripoll Gallardo A*, Pacelli B*, [5 co-authors], Allara E. Medium- and long-term health effects of earthquakes in high-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Epidemiol. 2018 Aug 1;47(4):1317-1332.
* joint lead authors
# joint senior authors