Care towards the end of life: research into practice
9th February 2021; 9:30-12:00
a) Keynote address. “Palliative and End of Life Care research: challenges and opportunities”
Prof. Mike Kelly, recently Head of Public Health, National Institute of Health and Care
b) Parallel Session 1. Current research: “so what” for patient care and clinical practice?
- Community end-of-life anticipatory medication prescribing practice: findings from a PhD study.
Ben Bowers, NIHR School for Primary Care Research PhD student
- Anticipatory Prescribing practice pre and post COVID: where are we now? A national survey
Dr Barbara Antunes, Research Associate, NIHR Applied Research Collaboration
- Bereavement care during the COVID-19 pandemic: a national survey
Dr Caroline Pearce, Research Associate, NIHR School for Primary Care Research
- How do doctors communicate and make decisions about assisted hydration at the end of life?
Dr Arjun Kingdon, Academic Clinical Fellow in Palliative Medicine
c) Parallel Session 2. Future research: ensuring relevance to patient care.
- The future is uncertain(ty): optimising palliative care for changing populations.
Dr Simon Etkind, Clinical Lecturer in Palliative Medicine
- Self-management in advanced multimorbidity and inequality: Developing PhD research plans
Joshua Gallagher, NIHR Applied Research Collaboration PhD student
- Advance care planning and frailty: work with patients, carers and clinicians to co-design a new approach.
Dr Sarah Hopkins, Evelyn and Addenbrooke’s Charitable Trust Research Fellow
- Anticipatory prescribing for end of life care in care homes: developing PhD research plans
Megha Majumder, Abbeyfield Trust PhD student
d) Parallel Session 3. Future research: ensuring relevance to patient care.
- End of life care in care homes. Developing PhD research plans
Susannah Browne, St Luke’s Hospice PhD student
- Teaching Palliative Care to medical students: what do we need to know? Developing a research agenda
Dr Tom Weetman, NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow in Medical Education and Palliative Medicine
- Optimising advance care planning in non-cancer illness. Planning an intervention trial
Dr Markus Schichtel, GP Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
- “PrimaryBreathe”: developing a remote Primary Care intervention for chronic breathlessness
Dr Anna Spathis, University Lecturer in Palliative and End of Life Care