Strangeways Research Laboratory started out in 1905 as a small hospital, the Cambridge Research Hospital, founded by Dr Thomas Strangeways in a house in Hartington Grove. The hospital moved to the current site in 1912 and was renamed Strangeways Research Laboratory in 1928.
The laboratory was established as (and remains today) an independent research charity, although its research funding has come from outside bodies. For the first eighty years of its existence, the main emphasis of the laboratories was on rheumatoid arthritis and other connective tissue disorders, this research was mainly supported by the Medical Research Council.
Official opening of the newly refurbished laboratories
A major change of direction took place in 1990s, with the renovation of the building as a new centre for genetic epidemiology. This was achieved through grants from the National Lotteries Charity Board, Cancer Research UK, the Wolfson Foundation and the National Health Research R&D Executive.
The Laboratory also houses the independent Foundation for Genomics and Population Health(PHG Foundation) .