Consultant in Palliative Medicine, Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Associate Specialty Director in Palliative Medicine, School of Clinical Medicine
Anna qualified from Cambridge in 1992, and then trained in both hospital medicine and general practice before entering palliative medicine training in 2000. Her first consultant post was at Helen and Douglas House, a hospice for children and young adults in Oxford, and she has been a consultant at the Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust since 2011. She is the lead consultant for the Cambridge Breathlessness Intervention Service.
Anna has a particular interest in the management of cancer-related fatigue, having contributed to setting up an NCRI funded clinical trial evaluating a central nervous system stimulant for the management of fatigue in advanced lung cancer. She is currently undertaking an MD investigating fatigue in teenagers and young adults with cancer.
Anna is one of the two Associate Specialty Directors in Palliative Medicine, working with the Specialty Director, Dr Stephen Barclay, to design and deliver undergraduate palliative care education at the University of Cambridge. She is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Spathis A, Harrop E, Robertshaw C, Elverson J, Lapwood S. Learning from paediatric palliative care: lessons for adult practice. Palliative Medicine 2012;26(6):777-779
- Spathis A, Fife K. Blackhall F, Dutton S, Bahadori R, Wharton R, O’Brien M, Stone P, Benepal T, Bates N, Wee B. Modafinil for the treatment of fatigue in lung cancer: results of a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2014;32(18):1882-1888
- Ryan R, Spathis A, Clow A, Fallon M, Booth S. The biological impact of living chronic breathlessness – a hypothetical role for the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis? Medical Hypotheses 2014;83;232-237
- Ryan R, Spathis A, Booth S. Correlates between basic science and therapeutic interventions: the theory and practice. Curr Opin Support Palliat Care 2014,8:200-207
- Spathis A, Booth S, Grove S, Hatcher H, Kuhn I, Barclay S. Teenage and Young Adult Cancer-Related Fatigue is Prevalent, Distressing, and Neglected: It is Time to Intervene. A Systematic Literature Review and Narrative Synthesis. Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology 2015; 4(1): DOI: 10.1089/jayao.2014.0023
- Booth S, Chin C, Spathis A. The brain and breathlessness: understanding and disseminating a palliative care approach. Palliative Medicine 2015;29(5):396-398
- Chin C, Holt Butcher H, Spathis A, Ryan R, Johnson M et al. What’s Trending in Breathlessness Research? Proceedings of the 8th Annual Meeting of the Breathlessness Research Interest Group. Progress in Palliative Care http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/1743291X15Y.0000000005