Principal Researcher/Associate Professor in Global Health
Telephone: +44 (0) 1223 748675
Rajiv is a qualified physician who did his MPhil and PhD in Epidemiology at the University of Cambridge. He was a Commonwealth and Gates Cambridge scholar. Rajiv has also received advanced training in Nutritional Epidemiology at the Imperial College London, in Genetic Epidemiology at the Netherlands Institute of Health Sciences (as an Erasmus Fellow) and in Pragmatic Trials at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. He was elected a Fellow of the UK Royal Society for Public Health and a Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology.
Rajiv leads the Global Health Research theme within this unit. He is the lead Principal Investigator of several international research projects:
1) The BangladEsh Longitudinal Investigation of Emerging Vascular Events (BELIEVE, a 150,000-person prospective cohort study in Bangladesh)
2) The Bangladesh Risk of Acute Vascular Events (BRAVE, a 16,000-person case-control study of cardiovascular disease)
3) The Malaysian Acute Vascular Events RIsK (MAVERIK, a 5,000-person case-control study of cardiovascular disease in Malaysia)
4) The Strengthening Health systems by Improving Noncommunicable disease Epidemiology in Sri Lanka (SHINES, 7,000-person prospective cohort study in Sri Lanka)
Rajiv also serves as the Scientific Director and Co–Principal Investigator of the UKRI-funded (£8.4M) CAPABLE global health programme in Bangladesh.
Rajiv leads the Global Health module within the Cambridge MPhil in Public Health course, which he founded in 2011. He also leads the Global Health Summer Course in Erasmus Medical University in the Netherlands, and the Global Public Health Module within the Pembroke-King’s Summer Programme of Cambridge University. He taught chronic non-communicable disease epidemiology in German Institute of Tropical Medicine in Berlin (Charité). Additionally, Rajiv has given keynote lectures on concepts of Epidemiology, Global Public Health, Systematic Review and Meta-analysis in various universities and scientific workshops internationally.
As of 2020, Rajiv has published >110 peer-reviewed publications (with a current publication h-index of 50), which include several reports in the high-impact scientific journals. Rajiv Rajiv’s broad research interests are in evaluating roles of environmental (eg, diet and toxic metals) and their associated genetic factors that may influence the risk of chronic non-communicable diseases. Rajiv has received significant global media attention for his research on the environmental toxic metals (The Independent), fatty acids and heart disease (BBC, CNN, NY Times, Time Magazine, The Guardian), fatty acids and stroke (NY Times, The Times, The Australian, CBC News), vitamin D and mortality (Reuters, NY Times) and Global Health initiatives (Dhaka Tribune, BDnews24, Huffington Post, The Wall Street Journal. In 2013, Rajiv received the Bill Gates Senior Award for contributions to global health.
Top 30 Publications
1) WHO CVD Risk Chart Working Group. World Health Organization cardiovascular disease risk charts: revised models to estimate risk in 21 global regions. Lancet Glob Health. 2019 Oct;7(10):e1332-e1345.
2) Chowdhury, R., Ramond, A., O’Keeffe, L. M., Shahzad, S., Kunutsor, S. K., Muka, T., . . . Di Angelantonio, E. (2018). Environmental toxic metal contaminants and risk of cardiovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysis.. BMJ, 362, k3310.
3) Chowdhury, R., Lawrence, R., van Daalen, K., Hawkes, S., Feldmann, J., & Research Councils UK–CAPABLE Programme on Environmental Hazards and Non-communicable Diseases. (2018). Reducing NCDs globally: the under-recognised role of environmental risk factors.. Lancet, 392(10143), 212.
4) Klarin D, Damrauer S.M., Cho. K,…. Chowdhury, R.,…& Assimes, T. L. (2018). Genetics of Blood Lipids Among ~300,000 Multi-Ethnic Participants of the Million Veteran Program. Nat Genet, 50, 1514–1523 (2018).
5) Lozano, R., Fullman, N., Abate, D., Abay, S. M., Abbafati, C., Abbasi, N.,…. Chowdhury, R.,…Collaborators, GBD/SDG. (2018). Measuring progress from 1990 to 2017 and projecting attainment to 2030 of the health-related Sustainable Development Goals for 195 countries and territories: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. The Lancet, 392(10159), 2091-2138.
6) Howson, J. M. M., Zhao, W., Barnes, D. R., Ho, W. -K., Young, R., Paul, D. S., . . . Chowdhury, R……Saleheen, D. (2017). Fifteen new risk loci for coronary artery disease highlight arterial-wall-specific mechanisms.. Nat Genet, 49(7), 1113-1119.
7) Feigin, V. L., Abajobir, A. A., Abate, K. H., Abd-Allah, F., Abdulle, A. M., Abera, S. F.,…. Chowdhury, R.,…, Aichour, I. (2017). Global, regional, and national burden of neurological disorders during 1990-2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. Lancet Neurology, 16(11), 877-897.
8) Griswold, M. G., Fullman, N., Hawley, C., Arian, N., Zimsen, S. R. M., Tymeson, H. D., ,…. Chowdhury, R.,…, Collaborators, GBD. . A. (2018). Alcohol use and burden for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. The Lancet, 392(10152), 1015-1035.
9) Mahajan, A., Wessel, J., Willems, S. M., Zhao, W., Robertson, N. R., Chu, A. Y., ,…. Chowdhury, R.,… McCarthy, M. I. (2018). Refining the accuracy of validated target identification through coding variant fine-mapping in type 2 diabetes.. Nat Genet, 50(4), 559-571.
10) Marouli, E., Graff, M., Medina-Gomez, C., Lo, K. S., Wood, A. R., Kjaer, T. R.…. Chowdhury, R.,…,Lettre, G. (2017). Rare and low-frequency coding variants alter human adult height.. Nature, 542(7640), 186-190.
11) Zanoni, P., Khetarpal, S. A., Larach, D. B., Hancock-Cerutti, W. F., Millar, J. S., Cuchel, M.,..Chowdhury, R, …Samani R. Global Lipids Genetics Consortium. (2016). Rare variant in scavenger receptor BI raises HDL cholesterol and increases risk of coronary heart disease. Science, 351(6278), 1166-1171.
12) Myocardial Infarction Genetics and CARDIoGRAM Exome Consortia Investigators (2016). Coding variation in ANGPTL4, LPL, and SVEP1 and the risk of coronary disease (2016). N Engl J Med. 24;374(12):1134-44.
13) Zhao, W., Rasheed, A., Tikkanen, E., Lee, J. -J., Butterworth, A. S., Howson, J. M. M., ,…. Chowdhury, R.,…, Saleheen, D. (2017). Identification of new susceptibility loci for type 2 diabetes and shared etiological pathways with coronary heart disease.. Nat Genet, 49(10), 1450-1457.
14) Abajobir, A. A., Abate, K. H., Abbafati, C., Abbas, K. M., Abd-Allah, F., Abdulkader, R. S.,…. Chowdhury, R.,…, Bhatt, S. (2017). Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) for 333 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE) for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. The Lancet, 390(10100), 1260-1344.
15) Liu, D. J., Peloso, G. M., Yu, H., Butterworth, A. S., Wang, X., Mahajan, A.,…. Chowdhury, R.,…. Kathiresan, S. (2017). Exome-wide association study of plasma lipids in >300,000 individuals.. Nat Genet, 49(12), 1758-1766.
16) Franco, O. H*., Chowdhury, R*., Troup, J., Voortman, T., Kunutsor, S., Kavousi, M., . . . Muka, T. (2016). Use of Plant-Based Therapies and Menopausal Symptoms: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.. JAMA, 315(23), 2554-2563.
17) Harshfield, E*., Chowdhury, R*., Harhay, M. N., Bergquist, H., & Harhay, M. O. (2015). Association of hypertension and hyperglycaemia with socioeconomic contexts in resource-poor settings: the Bangladesh Demographic and Health Survey.. Int J Epidemiol, 44(5), 1625-1636.
18) Chowdhury, R., Alam, D. S., Fakir, I. I., Adnan, S. D., Naheed, A., Tasmin, I., . . . Di Angelantonio, E. (2015). The Bangladesh Risk of Acute Vascular Events (BRAVE) Study: objectives and design.. Eur J Epidemiol, 30(7), 577-587.
19) Willeit, P., Freitag, D. F., Laukkanen, J. A., Chowdhury, S., Gobin, R., Mayr, M., . . . Chowdhury, R. (2015). Asymmetric dimethylarginine and cardiovascular risk: systematic review and meta-analysis of 22 prospective studies.. J Am Heart Assoc, 4(6), e001833.
20) Chowdhury, R., Johnson, L., & Steur, M. (2014). Trans fatty acid isomers in mortality and incident coronary heart disease risk.. J Am Heart Assoc, 3(4).
21) Chowdhury, R., Kunutsor, S., Vitezova, A., Oliver-Williams, C., Chowdhury, S., Kiefte-de-Jong, J. C., . . . Franco, O. H. (2014). Vitamin D and risk of cause specific death: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational cohort and randomised intervention studies.. BMJ, 348, g1903.
22) Chowdhury, R., Warnakula, S., Kunutsor, S., Crowe, F., Ward, H. A., Johnson, L., . . . Di Angelantonio, E. (2014). Association of dietary, circulating, and supplement fatty acids with coronary risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis.. Ann Intern Med, 160(6), 398-406.
23) Chowdhury, R., Khan, H., Heydon, E., Shroufi, A., Fahimi, S., Moore, C., . . . Franco, O. H. (2013). Adherence to cardiovascular therapy: a meta-analysis of prevalence and clinical consequences.. Eur Heart J, 34(38), 2940-2948.
24) Baena, C. P*., Chowdhury, R*., Schio, N. A., Sabbag, A. E., Guarita-Souza, L. C., Olandoski, M., . . . Faria-Neto, J. R. (2013). Ischaemic heart disease deaths in Brazil: current trends, regional disparities and future projections.. Heart, 99(18), 1359-1364.
25) Shroufi, A., Chowdhury, R., Anchala, R., Stevens, S., Blanco, P., Han, T., . . . Franco, O. H. (2013). Cost effective interventions for the prevention of cardiovascular disease in low and middle income countries: a systematic review.. BMC Public Health, 13, 285.
26) Sajjad, A., Chowdhury, R., Felix, J. F., Ikram, M. A., Mendis, S., Tiemeier, H., . . . Franco, O. H. (2013). A systematic evaluation of stroke surveillance studies in low- and middle-income countries.. Neurology, 80(7), 677-684.
27) Chowdhury, R., Stevens, S., Gorman, D., Pan, A., Warnakula, S., Chowdhury, S., . . . Franco, O. H. (2012). Association between fish consumption, long chain omega 3 fatty acids, and risk of cerebrovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysis.. BMJ, 345, e6698. 25.
28) Di Angelantonio, E.*, Chowdhury, R.*, Sarwar, N., Aspelund, T., Danesh, J., & Gudnason, V. (2010). Chronic kidney disease and risk of major cardiovascular disease and non-vascular mortality: prospective population based cohort study.. BMJ, 341, c4986.
29) Di Angelantonio, E.*, Chowdhury, R.*, Sarwar, N., Ray, K. K., Gobin, R., Saleheen, D., . . . Danesh, J. (2009). B-type natriuretic peptides and cardiovascular risk: systematic review and meta-analysis of 40 prospective studies.. Circulation, 120(22), 2177-2187.
30) Roy, S. K., Hossain, M. J., Khatun, W., Chakraborty, B., Chowdhury, S., Begum, A., . . . Chowdhury, R. (2008). Zinc supplementation in children with cholera in Bangladesh: randomised controlled trial.. BMJ, 336(7638), 266-268.