How to Apply for the MPhil in Epidemiology – course code: MDPUM2
The course is open to medical and non-medical graduates.
Non-medical applicants generally have degrees in a quantitative science or a health-related area. Other applications will be judged on an individual basis depending on relevant previous experience. Proficiency in English is essential and must be demonstrated.
Each application will be assessed by a panel (minimum of 3 members) appointed by the MPhil Management Committee.
Factors on which the applications will be assessed include:
- Class of first degree (preferably first or upper second or equivalent)
- Relevance of previous academic and work experience
- Candidates statement of their reasons for wishing to take the course
- Other supporting evidence including an up to date curriculum vitae
Applications from individuals who aspire to continue to PhD study in Epidemiology are particularly encouraged to apply.
The assessment panel will be seeking assurance that the candidate has the experience, ability and commitment necessary to complete the MPhil course. Applications received after the closing date will be considered on an individual basis at the discretion of the assessment panel. In all cases, the assessment panel’s decision is final.
Admission to the University
You should apply for admission to the University using the University’s online GRADSAF (Graduate Admission and Scholarship Application Form) if you:
- wish to apply for University-wide funding competitions (eg Gates, Cambridge Overseas & Commonwealth Trusts, Cambridge Home and EU Scholarships etc – please note these funding competitions all have very early deadlines http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/gradstud/
- wish to be considered for an award from the Department’s doctoral training grant;
- have been awarded a specific studentship / programme position in competition
- wish to apply for a College studentship
- have an external scholarship; or
- have your own funding.
BEFORE YOU COMPLETE A GRADSAF, READ THE FOLLOWING:
Please note each online application made using a GRADSAF will cost you £50. Each paper copy application will cost you £100.
Are you eligible to apply for admission to our programmes?
Competition for admission to the University of Cambridge graduate programme is intense. Like all departments in the Graduate School, we require all our graduate entrants to have:
- at least a 2.1 in an Honours degree or equivalent (eg CGPA 3.5/4.0) in a relevant subject
- two outstanding references from senior University staff at your most recent University
- fluency in the English language – recent IELTS test with an overall band score of at least 7.0 with not less than 7.0 in speaking, listening and writing, and 6.5 in reading.
For more details of the University’s academic requirements see the University’s Graduate Prospectus - http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/gradstud/
How to apply to the University
Go to http://www.biomed.cam.ac.uk/gradschool/apply/student/online.html for full instructions on how to apply online.
The Department requires the following documents and you will be asked to submit electronically once you have submitted your GRADSAF:
- A Statement of Interest which should be no more than 1000 words.
Informal enquires concerning the course or how to apply are always welcomed. Please contact the Postgraduate Secretary – ku.ca.mac.lhcsdemnull@nimdadargcphp.