Many colleges make some provisions for accommodating graduate students, either within their own walls or in graduate halls of residence or purpose-built flats.

Colleges differ in the amount of accommodation available to students, so you may wish to consider the type of facilities provided when deciding which college to apply to.

If a graduate student finds that their college cannot provide accommodation for them, or if they prefer not to live in college accommodation, the University Accommodation Service can help them to find a place to live.

Students should apply, in person if possible, to

The Head of the Accommodation Service at 18 Silver Street,
CB3 9EL.
Tel: (+44) 1223-353518,

Web Site:

The office is open from 9.00am to 12.45pm and 2.00pm to 4.45pm, Monday to Friday and all graduate students are welcome to call without an appointment to discuss their housing needs or seek advice.

If a personal interview is not feasible, please write, making sure that the letter contains the answers to the following questions:

  • Which college has accepted the student
  • Whether the student has applied for college accommodation
  • Whether the student is single or married and if they have a family, the age and sex of any children
  • What maximum rent can be afforded
  • Whether a car will be available so that housing outside Cambridge can be contemplated
  • When the student expects to arrive in Cambridge and the proposed length of stay

Married graduates, whether they have a family or not, should note that accommodation in Cambridge is expensive and hard to find. Students, especially those from overseas, are advised that they should come alone at first, unless, of course, they have already had a definite offer of housing.

About the Department of Public Health and Primary Care

The Department of Public Health and Primary Care is situatated on two sites: the Institute of Public Health on the Forvie Site, and the Strangeways Research Laboratory site. The Department offers an exceptional multi-disciplinary research environment in all areas of epidemiology, statistics and health services research.

It has rated 5* in the last two Research Assessment Exercises and with strong MRC, Wellcome and R&D funding support for programmes of research including; chronic disease epidemiology, genetic epidemiology, primary care and health services research, and statistics.

The Department is situated in the purpose built Institute of Public Health alongside the MRC Biostatistics Unit, the Eastern Region Public Health Observatory, Epidemiological Intelligence Service and Cancer Registry. The Strangeways Research Laboratory site houses genetic epidemiology and the European Investigation in Cancer (EPIC) study. In addition, there are strong links with the Dunn Nutrition Unit and the Department of Social Anthropology.

Cambridge Colleges

When you apply to the University for admission, you also apply for a college, and must be accepted by one in order to be admitted by the University.

All the colleges within Cambridge University accept graduate students, although numbers vary between Colleges.

The Graduate Studies Prospectus gives information about each college and the number of students applying and admitted to each college.

Your college will be an important part of your life in Cambridge, providing both a social and academic base.

It is worth taking sometime to look at the key facts section of the Graduate Studies Prospectus to see how the colleges differ and which one might suit you best. More detailed information is also available on individual college websites.

Detailed questions about any individual college should be addressed to the Tutor for Graduate Students at that college.


The Cambridge University Public Health and Epidemiology Society

(CUPHES) aims to provide a forum for those interested in public health and epidemiology to meet socially and to support each other in their academic work.

The society organises regular social events throughout the year.